Monday 13 May 2013

Cycle 3 starts

I arrived back on the ward early yesterday evening to be greeted by the usual friendly faces
My nurse this morning was greeted by something other than a friendly face, she had the misfortune to enter my room right at the moment that I had chosen to stretch over from my bed to the window to open the blinds, in doing so I exposed my near naked butt to the door my nurse had just walked through, leading to a different type blinding. "Nevermind" she squeaked as she shielded her eyes, "I have seen it all before", then she walked over sculled my coffee, which was international roast, and ran out the door.
I'm not sure if it was dry retching or laughter that I could hear later on, maybe the nurses here are mere mortals after all, who woulda thunk it? Nonetheless, she soon composed herself to ensure that my first dose of chemo for this cycle ran smoothly and on time, which is proof that they are the most godlike mortals currently walking our humble realm. However, anyone who can scull international roast must be a god...hmm, confusing.
By the way here are the taste receptors for international roast:

It's a bit scary how many friendly faces and names I know here these days. In the 6 years I have been coming here I think I have now spent time in every one of the patient areas of the hospital except for the radiation therapy bunkers, I'm quite happy to give those a miss.
The chemo regime for this cycle is exactly the same as for the preceding two, so I won't bore you with the details again except to say that things are going well. If you are interested then the details are in a previous post.
In the last couple of days prior to this last cycle of chemo I started to feel a bit blasé about the whole about the whole high dose chemo thing, possibly because it is the last cycle, possibly because the previous two cycles went pretty well, and possibly because I am living in the glow of the good news about my tumour markers. While it is good to bask in the sunshine of some good news I need to refocus on this cycle of treatment as to do otherwise could lead to a lack of vigilance on my part, it is good to have a positive outlook, it is dumb to assume that the third cycle will go well just because the first two cycles did. The third cycle is more risky simply because it is the third cycle and my body is much weaker than it was three months ago. I got through the first two cycles fairly well because I was focused, vigilant and worked hard, it's time to do all that again for about 20 days, then I will celebrate!
Cheers, Pete


No comments:

Post a Comment