Friday 31 May 2013

Chemotherapy finished! Out of hospital!

Hi all,
Well that's it for chemotherapy, the third cycle is over, I am out of hospital again and my tumour markers remain at normal levels! It looks more and more like the final score is going to be Team Pete: 1 Cancer: Nil. That is an incredible result in a game where the winner takes all and the opponent is a sneaky, evil bastard that makes up the rules as it goes along.
Team Pete has been extraordinary, I have had the good fortune to have a medical team who all combine talents of extraordinary knowledge, commitment and care. Of course Team Pete has been made up of a much greater range of people than just medical professionals, each of you who have spared a moments thought for me have contributed more than you can imagine.
Of course things are not quite over yet, I still have some the surgery to get through. I should be able to tell you more about that after I meet with the surgeon next Thursday

This last cycle of chemo has been pretty hard and the days since my last post have been a bit of a blur as the side effects of the chemo kicked in harder than ever before. I won't bore you with the details. I think someone must have told snuggles the chemotherapy cat that after six years this would be it's last chance to play, so instead of just toying with me like he has done in previous cycles he decided to get grumpy and whacked me around a bit.
I can't remain too upset at snuggles though, he has saved my life by scaring the cancer out of my body, even if he has left me with a few scars in the process.  I am in recovery mode now and continue to get a little better each day.
Cheers, Pete.


1 comment: