Monday 3 June 2013

Recovery mode, good problems to have and some not so good problems to have.


Considering all that has happened over the past four months one of the problems I now have is a pretty good one. I’m bored!
This has happened before when I was recovering from chemo back in 2008 and 2011. The boredom comes about because the fog and fatigue lifts from my mind much faster than it lifts from my body. My head wants to get out and restart my life (again), I want to start enjoying this amazing world we live in, I want do stuff, to take advantage of being so close to the city, but at this stage my body isn’t up for much more than a short walk each day. Whatever, it will pass as my recovery continues.
My recovery from the chemo is going along nicely and most of the side effects that can settle quickly have done so. My blood counts are good, even my haemoglobin is back over 100 for the first time in months. My stomach has settled so I am eating well, which is a very good thing as my body needs lots of nutrition as it repairs itself post chemo, a lot of patients continue to lose weight post chemo but my weight since I was discharged from hospital seems pretty stable. Apart from the occasional huge sheet soaking night sweat I am sleeping well too. The docs don’t seem to have an explanation for the night sweats beyond saying “yeah lots of patients report that”. The sweats only happen about once a week and they vary in intensity, but they can continue to occur with neither rhyme nor reason for months, I guess that when you consider just how much crap has been pumped into my body and how much stress it has been under it is not surprising that things like this occur, on the other hand, they could simply be due to one of the medications I am still on. Nonetheless it is great to be out of hospital and sleeping in a dark, warm, quiet and comfortable environment, it means the aspect of fatigue that is just caused by lack of sleep is no longer a problem and my head is clearer than it has been for months. The other aspect of fatigue, that caused by the chemo, will also improve a lot over the coming weeks but it will take months or possibly years to go away, it may never go away completely given how much chemo I have had over the years and indeed it is something I have been fighting since 2007. Another one of the long term issues recurring since 2007 due to chemo is peripheral neuropathy (numbness/tingling in the hands and feet, tinnitus in the ears). Its effects have been particularly detrimental to my tinnitus this time around, it is a bit of a concern as its effects on my hearing are quite noticeable, so it is something I will have to discuss further with the docs.
My hair has not started to regrow as yet, it is always something to look forward to as it is a mystery as to what I will get. Blond or brown? Dead straight or wavy? Course or fine? Maybe I should be offering odds, my money is on blond straight and fine, time will tell!
Cheers, Pete.




1 comment:

  1. None of these. More like Veronica Lake (qv).

    Helen

    ReplyDelete