Saturday 23 February 2013

About This Blog

  • What is it for, who is it for.
    •  My primary reason for starting this blog is to keep family and friends updated on my condition, treatment and movements (locality, not bowel movements...). Whilst we deeply appreciate your phonecalls I have found that in the mid and latter stages of my treatment when the chemotherapy is really kicking in it can be very difficult to keep everyone up to date with accurate info by phone.
    • I also intend to include a bit of information that other suffers of testicular cancer might find useful, so I must include some obvious disclaimers here. 
      • I am not medically qualified, the advice that I offer may help interpret the advice you get from a doctor but it should never replace it.
      • Don't take anything that I write about my testicular cancer and treatment to be applicable to your circumstances, there are several types of TC, numerous subtypes and numerous treatment options. To further muddy the waters, everyone will respond to the different treatments slightly differently.
      • If you are here because you have concerns about your health then I strongly advise you to get it checked out immediately, in most cases lumps on the testes turn out to be nothing more than a cyst but that is no excuse not to go to a doctor because an "it'll be alright" attitude won't work, cancer doesn't care what you think. Delaying because of fear of what might happen will only make your fears come true, the cancer will just go about it's business regardless of how you feel. If it does turn out to be cancer you might even find that the treatments bark is worse than it's bite, but only if you get in early, also remember that survival rates for this type of cancer are very high if you get to a doctor and start treatment early. Just do it.
      • There are plenty of good resources on the net that provide more info than I could ever provide here, one of the most comprehensive resources can be found here: http://tcrc.acor.org/
      • If you want to chat to people who have experienced testicular cancer then give this forum a go: http://www.tc-cancer.com/forum/forum.php 
Cheers, Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment