Wednesday 27 February 2013

Still going very well! Food!

Post chemo
It's a couple of days post chemo now and I'm pleased to say that things are still going well. The post chemo symptoms are all mild at the moment.
The chemo fatigue is here again, but it's fine at this stage. Like most chemo patients I find the fatigue difficult to describe to anyone who has not been through it, but I will post something about it some day.
Food is already less appetising but I am still managing to eat well, keep the food down and digest it, which is a large part of the battle. I have found in the past that food plays a very important part in coping with chemo, it's amazing how quickly an energy hit can kick in after eating something.
One of the reasons for this is that chemo is a bit of a blunt instrument, not only does attack the cancer, it also attacks many of the body's healthy cells (especially any fast reproducing cells), therefore the body has to work extremely hard to constantly remake those cells. To do this it needs plenty of good nutritious food.
However, the unfortunate correlation is this: some of the bodies fast reproducing cells are in the digestive tract, meaning that they are at their weakest when they are needed most. Therefore food can become a huge struggle, especially when the different parts of the digestive system can't agree on what they can cope with.
On the up side, one of the revolutions in cancer over the years treatment has been the improvement in the anti nausea medications, they can usually find something that stops the worst of it.
The struggle with food is also a bummer because anyone who knows me knows that I LURV good food (food will probably get lots of mentions in this blog!), I think some of them have never gotten over the sight of me puking anywhere within 5 metres of good food last time I had chemo!
Cheers, Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment