Sunday 24 February 2013

Treatment, Day 3 of 1st cycle

Going OK
Things are going to plan and I am feeling pretty good at the moment. I'm a bit tired but at this stage it probably has less to do with chemo side effects and more to do with the realities of a treatment regime that is very interuptive to sleep as it usually runs well into the night. Another reason for the lack of sleep is that one of the chemo drugs (ifosfamide) is potentially damaging to the bladder, to prevent this I am given another drug (mesna) to bind the damaging components and plenty of pre and post chemo hydration to keep me pissing out the dangerous stuff all night out after the ifosfamide has done its job... it just keeps coming (and hospitals aren't the place to get a decent night sleep at anytime anyway).

The nurses have shown me how to give myself the daily injections will I need when I go home, we practiced on a pillow, after my efforts that pillow is now in hiding somewhere.

I have been able to get out of the hospital and into the nearby parks with Robyn for a couple of hours on the last couple of mornings, very helpful, and fun to watch the leafblower guy achieving little more than making pretty clouds of leaves that soon fell back to where they were before his efforts, but we appreciated his unintentional artistry nonetheless.
We hope to be given some more dates for the upcoming treatment soon, will post them when I have them
Cheers, Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment