Saturday 2 March 2013

Exercise, also, People are wierd.

Question: What Is the hardest part about learning to ride a bike?
Answer: The pavement.
One of the best ways to fight chemo fatigue in its less extreme stages is to get up and do something, irrespective of how hard it might be to get started, I usually feel better after a bit of gentle activity (with a couple of very notable exceptions- some of you already know the story about my leg). If I don't make the effort then the grip of fatigue becomes inescapable and immeasurably heavier, and that makes for a very bad day indeed.
So, having woken up feeling fairly crappy yesterday, I decided to take my own advice and get out and get some fresh air and gentle exercise, plus it was a beautiful day (as is so often the case here in Melbourne in Autumn). Things were going well, the exercise was working and I had started to feel much better- until we we got to within less than 50 metres of home. Crash, a car knocked someone else off their bike just a few metres from where we were walking... sorry if I led you along a bit there.

I'm pleased to say that the guy was perfectly ok, apart from the fact that the leg of his baggy shorts were stuck under the car wheel he would have got up without so much as a scratch.
I didn't see the actual impact but we were close enough to take in the scene immediately. Peoples reactions in these situations fascinate me, and, as I tend to do, I held off for half a second to take in the scene. The other cars just kept going, the woman crossing the road from the other direction set her eyes firmly forward and in a now more measured stride she just kept walking and barking into her phone, the cyclists behind peddled on by, other pedestrians just stood, gawked then moved on. The driver of the car was hysterical and jumped out of her car to say to the poor guy pinned down by his shorts YOU SHOULD HAVE STOPPED, WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP!".
Robyn was the first to react, checking on the guy to confirm he was ok. I gently guided the woman away for a little walk so that she could compose herself before she got back into a car full of kids without causing further chaos up the road. We ensured that the car was safley moved off the guys shorts.
All in all no real harm was done, except to the bike, which is never likely to travel in a straight line again (but I'm not sure that it had for quite some time beforehand...). The cyclist was a bit bummed out about his bike but he was otherwise totally chilled about the whole event and went on his way.
We went home for lunch, I had a pretty good afternoon after my mornings exercise.

"Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." Mark Twain
Cheers, Pete.

No comments:

Post a Comment