Friday 12 April 2013

More ramblings

It's been an amazing week (and a bit), first my brother turned 40, next one of my nephews turned 21, then one of my nieces turned 2, wow I feel old. Congrats to all!
The only thing keeping me in hospital at the moment are my electrolyte levels, particularly potassium, which is needing a top up everyday. The main way potassium is lost from the body is with the loss of other fluids, so if a person has a bad case of the runs or is vomiting a lot they will be losing potassium, as neither circumstance applies to me at the moment it is a bit of a mystery as to why my levels keep dropping. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon as I definitely feel well enough to get outta here.
At this point in time the second cycle of high dose chemo is booked in for the 22nd of April, that will come around very quickly, so the sooner I get out the better. I need a few days of fresh air, non hospital food (lost a bit of weight so need to fatten up before the next cycle), non hospital people and non hospital everything else.
Mostly I want to get away from polly, except for a few hours early in the piece and a couple of hours again yesterday I have been hooked up to her for 16 days straight. Having to drag her around with me has become such a habit that when I got up for a walk around the ward yesterday after being disconnected I nearly took her with me anyway (the nurses tell me that happens all the time). 
I have had an amazing jump in blood counts in the last 24 hours, the human body is truly extraordinary. I talk about things like that with the nurses from time time, they too are constantly amazed and they love the fact that they just keep learning, all of them are so engaged with their work and the learning process that it is a pleasure to see.
Some of you may be wondering if my treatment is being successful. As we have just finished the first cycle of high dose chemo it is probably too early to answer that question. I don't even bother to ask about tumour markers at this stage, with two more cycles of high dose to get through I'm not sure I want to know anyway, I have plenty to focus on already. We will only know the the full story when the planned treatment is finished.
Cheers, Pete



No comments:

Post a Comment