Wednesday 10 April 2013

The Great White Hope

The big news today is that there has been the tiniest improvement in my white blood cell count from 0.2 to 0.3. That might not sound like much, and it doesn't even show up in the graph, but hopefully it means that I have started to get my immune system back. My experience in the past has been that when that happens the whole game changes, my body can fight off the various nasties it has picked up over the last couple of weeks with less and less need for copious amount of medications, some of which have nasty side effects of their own. When the bugs are gone my body can start repairing the damage done by the chemo, bugs and other medications.
The antibiotic I was on to fight the Cdiff didn't seem to be doing the trick, so it has been changed to vancomycin, which may be the foulest tasting liquid know to the human race. On the other hand the frequency of my trips to the dunny have lessened, which is good because I have already had to have one toilet replaced after it jumped out the window in protest:

I continue to have a temperature spike every day, but that's fairly normal for someone in my situation, none of them have turned into the drama that they did on Monday night.
As for the day to day stuff, the rollercoaster ride continues, sometimes I don't even want to be in the same building as food as the smell just turns my stomach, at other times I do ok. Sometimes the fatigue is crushing, a couple of hours latter I will be fine. All in all I am doing ok and have hopefully turned a big corner.
Cheers, Pete.







No comments:

Post a Comment