Sunday 17 March 2013

Day seven of cycle 2.

Today is day seven of the chemo cycle. After a couple of pretty flat days on Friday/Saturday I started to pick up nicely on Sunday and I'm feeling pretty good today, all systems are in reasonable shape for this stage of the cycle. That is perfect as it puts me in good shape to get through days seven to twelve, which is the period when my white blood cell, red blood cells, platelets and other blood counts drop off to levels that can be problematic. The big trick during this period is to avoid infection as that is the thing that will put me back in hospital. My energy levels also yo-yo all over the place during this period, I can't predict it or do much about it except be aware of the need to accommodate a nap attack anywhere, anytime, as a matter of fact I feel like one nowzzzzzzzzz, zzz zzzz, snort, fart, dribble, (eww) zzzzz.
Back again!.
The other big thing for me to avoid at the moment is anything pointy or sharp. That's because I am still on twice daily clexane injections to thin my blood so the clot in my neck breaks down and disperses. When you add in the fact that my low platelet levels means that my blood doesn't clot readily then the answer to the question "If you prick us, do we not also bleed?" is hell yeah, like a stuck pig. I'm not sure how anyone could stick a pig, they're adorable, but also delicious.... damn life is complicated.
I'm also not sure that quoting The Jewish Speech from the Merchant of Venice in combination with a reference to stuck pigs is entirely appropriate either... life really is complicated!

My upcoming chemo has been rescheduled slightly to make sure I am in the best possible shape to cope with the first high dose cycle. It will now start on the 3rd of April. I see the team that will manage me through that process this Wednesday, so I might have more to say about it all then, at the moment it is all a bit unknown. Over the years that I have been fighting this it has often been the waiting period, the times of unknowns, that are the scariest and hardest to cope with. Inspite of my best efforts, sometimes my brain can't help making shit up to fill the void (please, no jokes about there being a big void to fill, unless you have a gem to share). Having something to fight back against helps. Of course having nothing at all to worry about or fight against would be even better, but not all of us are that lucky. As I said, life's complicated, those complication are just another small part of the wonder and the mystery that makes it so incredible.
Cheers, Pete.


No comments:

Post a Comment